The Urban Development Group (UDG) is an european informal working group.
Its members are :
- civil servants from the Ministries of the EU countries, in charge of Urban Development
- civil servants from the Ministries of acceding countries , in charge of Urban Development
- civil servants from the Ministries of other European countries (Norway, Switzerland)
- representatives of the EU institutions : European Commission (EC), European Parliament (EP), Comitee of the Regions (CoR), European Economic and Social Commitee (EESC), European Investment Bank (EIB)
- representatives of interest organisations : CEMR, Eurocities, ECTP, EFAP
- representatives of technical networks : URBACT, EUKN
- representatives of European Programmes and Initiatives
UDG prepares the meetings of the Directors-General in charge of Urban Development and the informal Ministerial meetings.
UDG also prepares background and policy papers.
The key challenge of UDG is to promote the sustainable development in the EU towns and cities and the urban integrated approach at the different levels of Governance (from the neighbourhood level to the EU level).
The main recent documents supported by the Ministers in charge of Urban Development are :
- the Leipzig Charter (2007)
- the Marseille Declaration (2008)
- the Toledo Declaration (2010)